Monday, January 18, 2010

mp3: Skyramp Days of Thunder

"Pale Blue Dot"

Somehow, despite the totally in-my-zone album title, a reference to one of my favorite Windows 95 joystick games and the appearance of one of my favorite cosmic voyagers, I completely overlooked Skyramps Days of Thunder. Ian flipped me to it when it was posted on DayvanZombear last week, and like most of the material Dan Lopatin chimes on, it's a mystic, outerspace affair, one that would go well with repeating Carl Sagan's ellegy for Earth, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The collaboration between Lopatin and Mark McGuire, of Emeralds, is a post-Space Race ode to cosmonauts, astronauts, and monkeys, all those who braved the final frontier in the name of exploration. Like "Flight Simulator", "Dripping Water Hollows Out A Stone" channels nether-dimensions left unexplored by most humans, yet dreamt about my many.

Skyramps- Dripping Water Hollows Out A Stone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I love this. I saw Emeralds at No Fun Fest like, 3 years ago, and they were my favorite band in the extensive line-up... Don't they live in Ohio? How did Lopatin hook up with them?

Sérgio Silva said...

I saw Mark, Steve Hauschildt and Stellar Om Source, and they were all amazing... Lopatin and McGuire probably have 4 of my favourite records of the year, Days of Thunder,Zones without people, a pocket full of rain and the VDSQ Solo Acoustic Volume Two (these two by Mcguire)