Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bobkast #23: I Dream A Highway

"Home I'll Never Be"
(photo by Dorothea Lange)
Wealth I seek not, hope nor love, Nor a friend to know me; All I seek, the heaven above, and the road below me Robert Louis Stevenson
Lonely, broke and desperate, yet brimming with optimism, the song of the great American highway is deeply ingrained in the psyche of anyone born from sea to shinning sea. Some say it's Manifest Destiny, others merely an idyllic hobo's dream. Whatever it is, it's easily felt on cold, dark nights on lonesome highways, heading off the grid, or to some fabled watering hole, or, simply, home, wherever, or whatever, that may be. As Gillian Welch once said, "I dream a highway."

Bobkast #23: I Dream A Highway
Utah Phillips- Starlight on the Rails
Bob Dylan- Thunder on the Mountain
Marissa Nadler- River of Dirt
Karen Dalton- Down on the Street (Don't You Follow Me)
Townes Van Zandt- Waiting Around to Die
Magnolia Electric Co.- Hard to Leave the City
Dr. John- Travelin' Mood
Peter and the Wolf- Safe Travels
Woody Guthrie- Hard Travelin'
Antony and Bryce Dessner- I Was Young When I Left Home
Solomon Burke- Memphis
Gram Parsons- Return of the Grievous Angel (w/ Emmylou Harris)
Bruce Springsteen- Reason to Believe
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy- Goodbye Dear Old Step Stone
Tom Waits- Home I'll Never Be


Download Bobkast #23: I Dream A Highway (PC: right click + save as; Mac: apple (command)+click)

No comments: