Tuesday, March 25, 2008

classick: Electric Prunes

"I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night"
While we're on this nostalgic psych trip, it's as good a time as any to talk about a band I've been meaning to write about since we started the Bobka; The Electric Prunes. Like the 13th Floor Elevators, this Electric Prunes classic made a serious comeback with druggy garage lovers by way of the truly psychedelic Nuggets:Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968. The fact that the incredibly titled "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" kicks off the first disc of the Nuggets box set cements it as a true garage psych gem. While these guys weren't around for very long, they certainly established themselves as one of the key psychedelic groups in Southern California, big enough to hawk wah-wah pedals for Vox (see below). I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night is a must for anyone with a fetish for distortion, trippy effects and ragged '60s garage rock. Be sure to check out the Prunes live performance on the Smothers Brothers variety hour below.


Electric Prunes- I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night

Vox Wah-Wah Pedal Advertisement starring the Electric Prunes

"I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" on the Smothers Brothers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At this rate, I fully expect a Count Five post soon.