Thursday, April 9, 2009

live: Here We Go Magic @ Music Hall

"Everything's Clean"

Trying to recreate the subtle nuances of their debut record in a live setting could be nearly impossible for a band like Here We Go Magic, yet, for the most part, Luke Temple's crew of singing instrumentalists pulled it off. Riding a fine line between blissful ambiance and relatively straight forward, yet completely abstract pop, the group, fleshed out in full for theatrical performances, ran through most of Here We Go Magic, with standouts like "Fangela", "Only Pieces" and "Tunnelvision" receiving the most enigmatic response from the audience. "Tunnelvision", specifically, is a prime example of how Luke Temple's group is able to convey dense, bottom of the ocean ambiance capable of being lapped up by a mass audience, who actually danced to the slow-burner. While other acts attempting such a balance could easily get stuck on the droning side of the hill, Temple's knack for pop arrangements elevates mesmerizing atmospherics and drives them home. Dancing to "Tunelvision" is a compliment of the highest regard as most groups attempting to pull this off would get nothing but blank DMT stares from the crowd. While "Tunnelvision" was an undeniable highlight, the band really hit its stride on "I Just Want To See You Run Through Water", a song that could've easily been birthed on a marathon jaunt through the deepest, darkest parts of the sea, where electric eels and pulsating dragon fish are the only signs of light and life.

Here We Go Magic- Surprise (Live on WOXY) (via GvB)

4 comments:

mimi said...

I've been wondering how their live show is shaping up. I wish I could have heard the live version of "I Just Want to See You Underwater." That wasn't part of the 20-minute set I saw them play a few months ago.

What I'm more curious about is the Antlers. How were they? I can't get myself through Hospice because it depresses me to no end, but I've been told that I should...

McG said...

actually didnt see Antlers tuesday. But I did go to their album release show at Union Hall a few weeks back, where they were joined by special guests (Sharon Van Etten and a bunch of other singers). I'll be honest in that I havent listened to the album all that much, mostly because, yes, it depresses the shit out of me. I feel like its really a grower of a record, needs to seep in over time because it definitely didnt hit me right away

tom said...

Thanks for posting this mp3. I have been meaning to check these guys out, and will as soon as I get home today. I mean I don't think I had heard of them til ya'll blew them up on twitter this week.

McG said...

tom,

definitely a record worth getting into. also recorded in greenpoint. nice little plug for our hood.