Saturday, September 29, 2007

under the covers: Cat Power

"Honey Let Me Be Your Salty Dog"

Indie-folk chanteuse Chan Marshall, aka Cat Power, just announced a release date for her highly anticipated follow up to 2000's Covers. The record, coincidentally titled Covers II will see the light of day on January 22nd, 2008 by way of her longtime label Matador. Not only does Chan have one of the most enchanting voices I've ever heard, she is one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid eyes on (Chanel kingpin Karl Lagerfeld thinks so too, he featured her in Chanels Spring runway show). In the spirit of giving I hereby share two of my favorite Cat Power covers, the hauntingly beautiful, albeit abridged, version of the Velvet Underground's "I Found A Reason," and Chan's version of the traditional tune "Salty Dog." She's also on the I'm Not There Soundtrack doing one of my favorite Dylan songs "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" (Chan has covered the Bard before. "Kingsport Town" appears on Covers and "Knocking on Heavens Door" on Speaking for Trees). Catch the lovely Ms. Marshall in the 'sick' video for "Lived in Bars" below.

Cat Power- I Found A Reason
Cat Power- Salty Dog

No comments: