Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Under the Covers: These Days

"I've been out walking..."

Let's all thank Wes Anderson for turning us on to old, almost forgotten tunes. The guy sure has a knack for it. The Royal Tennenbaums, my favorite film of all time, introduced me to Nico's fantastic version of "These Days." While this was the first "real" recording of the song, most people don't know that it's actually a cover, written by a wise-beyond-his-years 16 year old Jackson Browne. At 16 I didn't even have a learner's permit, meanwhile Browne is writing one of the most introspective songs of all time. The guy even dated Nico. And then wrote and released "Running on Empty." He's cool.

While Nico's version, from her classick Chelsea Girl, is considered by most to be the definitive, Ms. Annie Clark, who records as St. Vincent, does her own take on the tune and I'd be ignorant to say she doesn't give Nico a run for her money. For me it's become a toss up. I will say I've been on a St. Vincent bender recently. Regardless, make up your own mind down below where you can grab both tracks. Also be sure to check out St. Vincent's Marry Me, which hits stores July 11th via Beggars Banquet.

Nico- These Days
St. Vincent- These Days

No comments: